Clock Rewinders on a Book Binge is the weekly recap feature created by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Tara @ 25 Hour Books, where they shamelessly plug each other, share the fantastic posts, giveaways, or whatever else they’ve found and loved by other awesome bloggers/authors/publishers/etc during the week, and talk about the books they plan on reading in the coming week.
Smash Attack Reads Recap
- Cover Reveal: Jenny Plague-Bringer by J.L. Bryan
- Book Blogger Confessions: Blogger Envy
- Pretty When She Kills Blog Tour: Interview with Rhiannon Frater
- Smash Reviews Pretty When She Kills by Rhiannon Frater
- Smash reviews Rage Within by Jeyn Roberts
- Andrew Smith Saturdays: The Marbury Lens Discussion, Part Five
Let’s Talk: We want your input!
I had another Heroes and Heartbreakers post go live this week. I talked about intimacy during the zombie apocalypse, with Rhiannon Frater, Jesse Petersen and The Walking Dead providing fuel to the fire.
As part of her blog birthday celebration, Kristilyn (Reading in Winter) invited me over to talk about the Books I Will Never Read. Do you agree or disagree with any of these?
In the life of Smash
I GOT THE JOB!
- As of 10/15, I will be working as a Site Coordinator for a national evidenced-based program that brings the support and resources to the schools, and to the families, when needed. Services like after-school programs, mentoring, tutoring, counseling, conflict resolution and pregnancy prevention programs. I will be placed at a middle school and will identify at-risk youth, link them and their parents to services, provide counseling, advocate for better resources, recruit volunteers. I will need to do some home visits to get to the bottom of some more serious issues. I will have to speak to agencies & business to gain support and resources. I will be stepping out of my comfort zone for a lot of this but it will help me grow personally and professionally, so I have to stay positive and push through it. I am SO happy however, because it’s the type of job I want to have, and I will learn so much about the community in the process. It is a 3 yr grant-funded position but they are hopeful that other opportunities will arise later.
- On the exam front, I took a practice exam through the testing board and got 121 correct out 150! You only need 107 correct to pass! I am SO damn pleased. Now I need to review the ones I got wrong and try to focus on my problem areas.
- I’ve decided to start-up my personal/professional blog and Twitter again, now that I have something to write about. It is anonymous and I want it to remain that way. If you are interested in hearing about my personal and professional life as a social worker, let me know and I will send you the link. No worries. I will not post in it but a few times a month, I’m sure…
I got a cool new insect infinity scarf!
T took me out to an amazing dinner to celebrate my employment! Probably the fanciest joint I’ve ever visited. It’s called Woodfire Grill, and the executive chef is former Top Chef contestant, Kevin Gillespie. He was T’s favorite that season, so I’m happy we were able to eat his incredible food. They personalized the damn menu! ♥ Food that good should be illegal!
- Read in 2012: 86
- Currently Reading: The Diviners: SO long but SO creeptastic!
- TBR Owned Pile (Hardcopy + eBook): 484
- Acquired for Kisten the Kindle: 9
- Acquired for my bookshelves: 1
- Rift (Thank you, Pam!!)
- Acquired for Kisten the Kindle: 9
Unbreaking the Shelves Update
I attacked my Goodreads TBR and got rid of books I’m no longer interested in reading. I started with 1744 and got it down to 1590. I did end up adding books too, like the rest of the books in a series, etc, so it ended up not bringing the number down much as much as I hoped, but still a lot! It feels SO GOOD.
Tidbits from around the blogosphere
- Scott Nicholson has a new thriller out this month. Get THE HOME for $.99 on Amazon!
- Amanda (On a Book Bender) shares with us the things that make her happy.
- Kristilyn (Reading in Winter) is celebrating her ONE YEAR BLOG BIRTHDAY! She also talks about what she’s learned since she started book blogging. GREAT POST!
- Felicia (Geeky Blogger’s Book Blog) shares 5 quick SEO for bloggers and authors! LOVE her for that!
- Giselle (Xpresso Reads) asks Rhiannon Frater about her thoughts on book review scandals and reviews, in general.
- Donna (Bite My Books) spouts off about the quality of books going down the tubes. LOVE THIS!
- Char (Apocalypse Mama) talks about Love in the Post-Apocalypse
- Amanda (LM-LLC) gives us tips on writing professional emails.
- How to become an exceptional writer.
- Parajunkee shares how to install social media icons on your blog.
- DUDE. You have to check out YA STEALS. Their slogan is “Discover. Save. Read. Repeat.” and I added like 10 books to my collection because of them!
Things that make me smile
I adore Cheryl Rainfield. Here, she talks about Scars being a challenged book and why she thinks we need to read “dark” book sometimes.
I adore Kristilyn”s musical abilities! ♥
- “wordpress editorial calendar” clone post: Well, you can clone with the duplicate post plugin, but not the editorial calendar plugin. I love both equally!
- kendall grey exhale free: DON’T MAKE ME HURT YOU, FOOL.
- wicked assassin death girls: Who, Gin?
- marbury lens sequel spoilers: I will cut you!
- fucking fantastic: Yeeeeeeesssssssssssssssss.
- Mel Reviews Claws and Effect by Amanda Arista
- Smash reviews Eve by Anna Carey
- Bookish Tools & Things: Part 2 – The Organizations
- Middle Ground Blog Tour: Interview with Katie Kacvinsky
- Saturday Shorts: King of Marbury by Andrew Smith
Have a fab week!
© 2012 – 2013, Smash Attack Reads. All rights reserved.
|Leave a Reply |