HELLO LOVELY PEOPLE!
Welcome to week one for THE MARBURY LENS read-a-long discussion. Are we ready to discuss this sometimes serious, always crazy, extremely entertaining book? I know I am.
Please post your thoughts in the comments. You do not need to address all the questions. Tackle the ones that interest you most. Or bring up your own points to discuss. Please sign up for notifications or check back often, as this is a discussion post and well, we want discussion! Feel free to further analyze, agree or disagree with another participant, but always remain respectful, and most importantly…HAVE FUN.
Part One Discussion
- Jack’s relationship with his grandparents is shaky, at best. He feels abandoned by his mother and wonders if they will soon abandon him, too. What are your thoughts on this relationship?
- Should you have an irresponsible night like Jack (and many teens, honestly), what do you think you would do if a stranger offered you assistance?
- Conner, great friend that he is, wants to help Jack kill Freddie. Discuss your thoughts about revenge, avenging someone, retribution, eye for an eye, etc. Do you believe in capital punishment? Do you think rehabilitation is possible for someone like Freddie? Have you ever stopped to think why/how people commit such heinous acts?
- Jack recreated being tied to the bed. Creepy as hell, right? Definitely a sign that Jack’s mental status is er, jacked up. Reliving trauma, usually via nightmares, flashbacks or intense reactions to a scenario that reminds the person of the event, is common in Post-traumatic Stress Disorder. But Jack actually ties his damn leg to the bed! Do you think he is experiencing PTSD symptoms, or is something else occurring?
- We’ve now met Henry Hewitt and heard his vaguely strange message to Jack. One minute, he’s there. The next minute, poof! He’s gone. What do you make of this character, and more importantly, his accusations of knowing Jack from Marbury?
- 9/8: Part One: The Amethyst Hour, Chapters 1-17
- 9/15: Part Two: The Strange Boys, Chapters 18-30
- 9/22: Part Three: Blackpool, Chapters 21-42
- 9/29: Part Four: Chapters 43-48
- 10/6: Part Five: Seth, Chapters 49-59
© 2012, Smash Attack Reads. All rights reserved.
|Leave a Reply |